Easy Vanilla Sponge Cake Recipe (With And Without Eggs)
We all know a classic vanilla sponge cake! Have tried it on various tea parties or in cafes, bakery, and confectioneries. So without wasting our time discussing what is this cake and other factors of it, let’s start discussing how to bake this cake in the egg as well as an eggless variant. We know that there are many bakeries offering a vanilla sponge cake along with its online cake delivery in Lucknow, Delhi and even across some XYZ city. But baking a vanilla sponge cake with all your love for love will hold a special place in the heart of the recipient which is what makes all the difference. So, let’s’ start baking, babies!
Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake Recipe
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 4 servings
- 1½ cups All-Purpose Flour (Maida) (approx. 200 gms)
- 1 cup Curd (Plain Yogurt) (250 ml)
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar (or 1-2 tablespoons less) (165 gms)
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Cooking Oil (any smell-less oil like sunflower oil) (125 ml)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Essence
Let’s Start Baking
- Start by preheating the oven at 180 degrees C for about 10 minutes or so.
- Take two 6’’ baking pans and grease its surface with melted butter or oil.
- Drizzle some maida on it so that it covers all the greased area of the pan and further line up your baking pans with parchment paper.
- Take a large bowl and sieve 1½ cups all-purpose flour (maida) in it.
- Take another bowl and pour 1 cup plain curd and 3/4 cup sugar in it.
- Mix well until of smooth consistency, further add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon of baking powder to it.
- Keep it aside for about 5 minutes to let the baking soda react with the curd.
- Once bubbles will start to appear on the surface, add ½ cup of sunflower oil or light olive oil.
- Pour 1 teaspoon vanilla essence and mix well, then add the already sieved maida into it.
- Mix well with a spatula until there are no-sign of white maida in the batter.
- Pour the batter in the already greased pans and bake it for 35-40 minutes at 180 C.
- Once it appears to be cooked, prick a toothpick to check. If the toothpick comes out all clean, then the cake has been baked fully, you can take it out and place it on a wire rack for it to cool down.
- Your cake is ready to be served. You can pour some chocolate syrup or vanilla frosting to top it up with.
Baker’s Note: If you want to bake this cake in a cooker or kadhai, here’s what you need to do.
- You can either take an aluminium pressure cooker or aluminium kadhai to bake this cake.
- If you are using a cooker, make sure to take the whistle and ring out before proceeding.
- You need to use a small metal stand to refrain the base of the cooker and the batter container touching each other directly.
- Close the lid and cook for about 5 minutes in high flame and thereafter cook for 30-45 minutes in low flame. Your cake will be ready to be relished.
Vanilla Sponge Cake Recipe With Eggs
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 eggs
- 0.5 cup powdered sugar 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar = 1 cup granulated sugar
- 0.33 cup all-purpose flour
- 0.33 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- 0.67 Tbsp hot water
- 0.33 Tbsp vanilla extract
Let’s Start Baking
- Whip the eggs in a mixer at high speed for about 1 minute, then add the powdered sugar partly in three instalments while continuing to whip.
- Preheat the oven to 350F with the rack in the middle of it. Prepare a baking pan of 8 inches by greasing it with oil or melted butter.
- Sift all-purpose flour and baking powder, twice.
- Combine melted butter and hot water and whisk them until combined.
- Whip eggs and sugar for about 15-20 minutes.
- Add vanilla essence to it.
- Now add whipped eggs into the sieved flour and combine it using the “cut and fold” method. Add the melted butter mixture and carefully fold.
- Pour the batter into an 8 inch round cake pan.
- Bake it for about 30 minutes to 350F in an oven. Check whether cooked or not, using a toothpick and once cooked, take it out of the oven and place it in a wire rack to help it cool down.
- Your cake is ready to be served! Bon Appetit!
So, your vanilla sponge cake recipe with or without eggs is ready! Which one you are planning to gorge on, in the first place?